Not all roads are straight and true, eventually you hit some rough ones. At its current state the van lies in a bunch of pieces as the time has come to put some much needed work into her. I have decided to do much of this work on my own using the almighty power of the internet to guide me to success. If all goes well she should be back on the road in a month or two. There are many plans in the works that go in all sorts of directions, but I never was one to really plan ahead so the future is bright with possibility. I’m gonna try and update this with the rebuild as I make progress.
Well the last month flew by in a blur of traveling to California and getting the van ready for the move back to West Virginia for the summer. I barely had time to unpack the bags and upload all the memory cards from California before it was time to fuel up the adventure mobile and head south. I'm currently writing this from my campsite a stones throw away from the New River just south of Fayetteville.
With over 200 images from my roadtrip in California sitting in a hard drive ready to be cleaned up and posted, there is alot of work to do. With no power other then what my solar system can generate I'm hoping to have the first set up on the site by the end of this week. I have a bunch of stories to share as well so keep checking the site for updates and bear with me as I pump out as much work as the sun allows.
Here is to another great summer down by the river...
As the icy grip of winter takes hold and the slow days of January creep around the corner, its that time of the year when things like to break and old cars really show there age. There Is nothing like running out to start the old girl and instead of that thunderous carburEted growl of a cold start you get a couple cranks and then silence. That dreaded feeling that can only be described in two words, O Shit.
Luckily for me I was already at home and already in a parking spot so I didn't need to worry about a tow. Also did not have TO start hunkering down for the night with fingers crossed the van would magically repair itself over night, which might I add is now a standard procedure on roadtrips. So the tool bag got pulled out along with the mighty and powerful Haynes Shop Manual, and the investigation began.
For four days it was nothing but a back and forth of tracing old wires and removing old tape that hid many of past repairs. Every wire I could find was checked for breaks or shorts, then properly taped back up and tucked out of the way of anything that could disturb it. Finally after replacing a couple parts as hopeful guesses and digging even further into the wiring harness I found the problem. Well three problems to be exact, first was a live wire that broke off its connector and was energizing my entire firewall, second was terribly corroded major ground wire connection, and third was a tear in of the wires going to my distributor. A bunch of fresh wires connectors, a good wire brushing, and some tape, and it was time to see if she would fire up.
With fingers and toes crossed I put the key into the ignition and within two cranks she roared to life, after a couple billows of black smoke from all the leftover fuel she idled like a new car. Not only was the problem solved but by repairing that ground and replacing a couple parts like plugs and wires, she know ran better then she ever has, and gained a throttle response I never guessed the big girl had in her.